Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, March 22, 2013

D.I.Y.: Flower Bow Tutorial

I am a huge fan of bows! I am 26 years old and will freely admit that even now, I will occasionally rock a fun bow with my outfit. What better way to start the beginning of Spring than with a fun bow tutorial!

I have been making these ribbon flower bows for a while now and I still can't get over how easy they are to make! Not only are they fun to wear, but they also make wonderful gifts or party favors for any little girls dream party :). What I especially loved about this product was that I was able to find about 98% of my supplies at my local Dollar Tree! I was able to purchase the felt, ribbon, pompoms, & glue sticks at my local store :)


So let's get started! I went ahead and made this tutorial into a video rather than a slideshow, but if the text gets hard to read, the instructions are also listed in the video description and at the end of this post as well. Enjoy!

Learn how to create your own boutique bow!
Step 1: Cut your felt circle
This will be the backing to your bow. I cut mine to be around 1 and 3/4 inches around, but you can definitely eyeball it if you would like a larger bow.

Step 2: Cut Your Ribbon into strips
The amount you need depends on the size of your bow. For this bow I cut about 7 strips of the blue grosgrain ribbon which will be my base,and 3 of each of the organza ribbons (navy and white). Make sure they are long enough to fold into loops so do not cut the ribbons to be less than 5 inches. 5-6 inches is just about right.

Step 3: Fold Your Ribbon
You are going to be folding over each strip of ribbon into small loops and gluing the ends together. You do not have to heat seal your ends as they are all going to
be covered in the end anyway.

Step 4: Begin placing your ribbon
You will start placing your ribbon loops on the outer circle of the felt forming a ring with an empty center like the following photos. You will be placing the strips more towards the center with the other two color strips. It is best to practice your placements before you glue them down to know how you would best like them arranged.

Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the other ribbon strips
You will now create 2 more layers of ribbon using the next 2 colors. I started by placing down 3 white ribbon loops and then placed three navy loops on top of the white.

Step 6: Decorate your center
I decided to place simple white pompom puff as the center to my bow, but you can use just about anything from bottle caps to charms, to silk flowers. Be Creative! =)

Step 7: Create your backing
You can use any backing, but for this tutorial I am going to use an alligator clip as my backing of choice. Start by cutting out smaller felt circle.

Step 7: Create your backing (cont.)
Apply enough glue to cover your felt circle and then place the circle between the alligator clip prongs. the place the glue side of the felt onto the back of your bow. This should leave one prong glue to the felt and the other free to place in hair.

Step 8: Wear your bow!
Your bow is now complete. Be sure to give enough time to allow your glue to fully dry and set. Have fun wearing your own custom made hair piece!

END!
Thank you for watching our tutorial! For more great D.I.Y. projects, reviews, and recipes, visit:
http://maryscraftynook.blogspot.com/

- Music written by Tom Cusack - Composer -- Tom Cusack - Music from www.freemusicforvideos.com


It is amazing how creative you can be with these bows! Here are two other variations I have completed:




Mermaid Bow: https://www.etsy.com/listing/104868217/mermaid-tail-ribbon-bow-teal-and-green?ref=shop_home_active
Black and Orange Pumpkin Bow:https://www.etsy.com/listing/104920950/black-and-orange-halloween-pumpkin?ref=shop_home_active

No comments:

Post a Comment